One of the primary concerns patients often have about dental braces is how the metalwork will impact the aesthetics of their smile. Adults especially become discouraged about wearing unattractive metal braces for long periods of time. ClearCorrect® offers an almost invisible alternative to aligning and straightening teeth quickly and efficiently without the use of metal.
The ClearCorrect® system consists of a series of custom-made aligning trays. The dentist changes the trays every several weeks to fit the new tooth configuration and progress towards a straight smile. In addition to the aesthetics of ClearCorrect®, the aligning trays can be temporarily removed for special occasions, which gives patients the option to regulate the duration of the process. There has been a great deal of satisfaction with both the ClearCorrect® treatment process and the end results.
What kind of problems can ClearCorrect® fix?
ClearCorrect® has the same capabilities as traditional metal braces; the only difference is that ClearCorrect® trays are virtually invisible and removable at will.
Here are some common dental issues patients were able to fix through the use of ClearCorrect®:
- Overcrowding – This occurs when there is a lack of space for the teeth to align properly within the mouth. Overcrowding creates hard to clean areas where bacteria and debris harbor and increase the likelihood of decay and gum disease.
- Gaps and Spaces between teeth – This can sometimes occur due to genetically missing teeth or upon the removal of a tooth. Gaps may show up later in life as the jaw continues to grow abnormally.
- Crossbite – This common dental problem occurs when one or multiple upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth. As a consequence, uneven wear can lead to bone erosion and gum disease.
- Overbite – This problem occurs when the upper teeth project further than, or completely cover, the lower teeth.
- Underbite – This is the inverse of the overbite; the lower teeth project further than, or completely cover, the upper teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ can occur.
What are the advantages of ClearCorrect® when compared to traditional braces and veneers?
Traditional braces, ClearCorrect® and dental veneers are three options to change the aesthetics of your smile. There are a varitey of considerations to discuss with Dr. Connelly when choosing which procedure will best suit you depending upon your situation.
Unlike traditional braces, ClearCorrect® trays are fully removable. Although this feature is convenient and often desirable, it requires discipline and commitment from the patient to to achieve the best results. The trays are designed to be comfortable and this issue is unlikely to occur. Seemingly identical results have been achieved by the use of either product.
ClearCorrect® is usually the better option for most patients because unlike veneers ClearCorrect® actually straightens the teeth. Veneers are thin cosmetic coverings that the dentist permanently attaches to the teeth. During the preparation of veneers a thin amount of tooth surface is removed to ensure a stronger bond, in rare instances the tooth may not need to be prepared. Once prepared an etch is applied which weakens the enamel further and enhances the bond between tooth and veneer. Upon the removal of dental veneers, an alternative covering must be constructed due to thinned enamel, which may be temperature sensitive and more prone to decay. In addition to being somewhat expensive, veneers can break and often last for less than 20 years.
What are some requirements of wearing the ClearCorrect® trays?
Initially ClearCorrect® trays may take a few weeks to get use to. The trays must be worn continually, with the exception of eating and drinking. We ask you to remove the trays when consuming food or drink in order to avoid trapping food and debris between the tray and the teeth, causing tooth decay. We also suggest brushing after consumption of food or drink to keep a clean environment between your trays and teeth.
Usually, every two weeks a new tray is inserted to shift the teeth furthermore. There is no denying how ClearCorrect® aligning trays have revolutionized the course of orthodontics.
So please feel free to ask Dr. Connelly if you’re interested or have further questions about ClearCorrect®